Biology alone consists of 50% marks in NEET Examination. So, this section is unavoidable if you want to crack NEET 2018 Exam. Biology is basically classified into two parts Botany and Zoology. Both these parts together carry 90 marks. If you could score well in this section, you can surely expect your name in the list of top candidates. However, you need to be extremely thorough with the syllabus of Biology section. To know, how to prepare Biology subjects to clear NEET Exam, go through the suggestions recommended below.
Important Preparation Tips for Biology to Clear NEET Exam
Have a Plan and Follow it
Planning and its precise execution are very important when preparing for an exam, especially an exam of such level. Considering the time you have before the exam, you must formulate a detailed timetable for the preparation of each subject of NEET exam.
Give More Time to Biology
When making a timetable, make sure to make more time for Biology considering its weightage and vastness. Also, it is best to create a weekly timetable and set days for revision in between rather than revising everything in the end.
Know About Important Chapters
It is recommended to know about the weight age of each chapter of biology to score better in NEET Exam. Below, you can find the list of chapters in sequential order as per their importance (shown through their weight age).
- Human Physiology (17%)
- Diversity in the living world (14%)
- Biotechnology and its application (11%)
- Genetics and Evolution (11%)
- Structural Organization in plants and animals
- Reproduction (9%)
- Biology and Human Welfare (9%)
- Ecology and Environment (7%)
- Cell Structure and Functions (7%)
- Plant Physiology (6%)
NCERT Books Are Your Best Friend
Ask any teacher, senior or NEET toppers, they will surely recommend you to refer NCERT books for the preparation of NEET exam. It is because, the majority of the questions asked are based on the NCERT books only, especially 11th and 12th class. Moreover, the concepts and language of NCERT books are easy to understand and memorize. Once you are done with the NCERT books, you can refer to other reference books to strengthen your Biology preparation for NEET exam.
List of Topics as Per Their Importance
If you are not left with much time for preparation, you should study topics according to their importance – starting with the most important and finishing with the least important. Below, you can find the list of topics as per their importance.
Most Important Topics
Begin with these important topics:
- Genetics, Plant Kingdom, Monrea
- Plant Nutrition
- Cell Structure
- Plant Morphology
Less Important Topics
Continue with the following topics once you cover the above-given topics.
- Animal Nutrition
- Animal Respiration
- Ecology and Biotechnology
- Animal Reproduction & Development
- Animal Tissues
Least Important Topics
Complete Biology preparation with the following topics:
- Microbes and Origin of Life
- Animal Kingdom from Porifera to Echinoderms
- Growth Repair and Regeneration
- Anatomy of Flowering Plants
It is suggested to be thoroughly prepared with Diagrams, especially those given in the NCERT books. This is suggested because you may find diagram-based questions in the NEET exam.
Take Mock Test on a Regular Basis
Once you are completely prepared with all your subjects i.e. Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, solve as many previous years’ question papers and sample papers as you can. You can also enroll for online mock test series. This helps in following ways:
- Enhance your speed significantly.
- Helps you evaluate your preparation.
- Helps you revise all the topics.
- Makes you familiar with the NEET exam pattern.
- Boosts your confidence.
Biology Books You Can Refer Apart From NCERT Textbooks
Apart from NCERT books, especially 11th and 12th, you can refer to the following books to enhance your preparation for clearing NEET Exam.
- Chand’s Biology by Dr. P.S. Verma & B.P. Pandey
- Modern’s ABC Biology by A.K. Sabharwal & B.B. Arora
- Trueman’s Objective Biology by K.N. Bhatia & M. P. Tyagi
- Together with Biology by S. Venugopal
- Trueman’s Elementary Biology by K.N. Bhatia & M. P. Tyagi
If you follow the above-mentioned Biology preparation tips for NEET Exam, you can surely master the Biology subjects much better than you expect.